Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Cleaning House

So today in Bible study we were reading in Act 7 and something jumped off of the page at me. Starting in verse 48 it says (after talking about Solomon's temple)

"Yet the Most High does not dwell in houses made by hands, as the prophet says Heaven in my throne, and the earth is my footstool. What kind of house will you build for me, says the Lord, or what is the place of my rest? Did not my hand make all these things?"

Wow! It was all I could think. What kind of house do I have prepared for the Lord. On Saturday's we have friends over, and we clean, vacuum, do the dishes and prepare for visitors. But on a daily basis I inhabit a house that is usually cluttered. I have a 6 and a 2 year old so its messy quite a bit. But why do I expect God to inhabit the clutter of my heart? I don't keep in clean. Just like on Saturdays I straighten up a bit, but I don't do the fine, detailed cleaning like the baseboards, dusting, between the cushions, under the couch, in the hidden places that others can't see. I don't want to clean the hidden places of my heart, fearful of what I would uncover. Have you have looked under a couch after a year of not cleaning under it? Its not pretty.

Why do I short change Him? After all, "Did not my hand make all these things?", He created it. I am handcrafted, His masterpiece, His breath, and I destroy it daily.

God help me clean house. Help me to not miss the hidden places. Help me get on my hands and knees, searching for your will, your direction, your peace.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, I clean during the week sometimes! :) I love you!

wiffleball_legend said...

yeah, but do you clean the baseboards, under the couch, under the bed, do you dust??????

UntouchableGreen said...

Man, I hardly ever clean, and the dog hair is increasing. :(

John said...

I love you guys. he talking sanctification and your no no no i clean some, i pick the toys out of bed before i go to sleep.:) I gotch ya stacy and it makes me think of where the baseboards are in my heart. and that would sure be nice if there was some vacumming of dog hair.;)

my playlist